I have chosen WaterAid as my nomination for jellybean’s 12 days of giving. This is a charity that is close to my heart as it was the one that my Grandad donated to every month until he unfortunately passed this year. This has made me want to showcase what life-changing work they do.
WaterAid is an amazing charity that helps give people around the world what should be a basic human right – clean water. As well as ensuring millions of people have access to clean water, decent toilets, and good hygiene, they also work with governments and organisations around the world to change laws, educate people and give resources to ensure they make a lasting change.
Something that seems so simple to us, can change a life of another. So here are seven ways that water changes everything:
- Water is health – It’s simple, but true: having clean water close by, and at clinics saves lives. It helps babies make it through their vulnerable first five years, gives new mums the best chance of survival and gives everyone a fighting chance of avoiding waterborne diseases.
- Water is livelihoods – Clean water gives people the time and resources to find jobs, learn new skills and run successful businesses. It helps them break free from poverty and change their lives for good, whether they are managing a water kiosk, brewing beer, or making bricks.
- Water is time – In most countries, the burden of collecting water falls mainly on girls and women. But when they only need to carry it a few steps from the nearest tap, that time is freed up, giving them the chance to laugh, to play and to go to school.
- Water is education – Spending time in the classroom is something many children can only dream of. When they no longer have to collect water every day, that dream can come true – opening up a world of opportunities.
- Water is transformation – 150 years ago, London’s first sewerage system was built. It started the transformation of the UK’s cities, helping to eliminate diseases like cholera. Now WaterAid are working with some of the world’s poorest communities to implement that same change, so everyone can look forward to a healthier future.
- Water is dignity – Clean water is something so many of us take for granted. But being able to wash regularly in a clean, private place is essential to lead a dignified life.
- Water is life – Why? Because, quite simply, we can’t live without it. And because, every day, we get to hear incredible stories showing how water is enabling people to unlock their potential and transform their lives. Forever.
This is a heart-warming charity, and I am so grateful that jellybean has supported this cause for one of its 12 days of giving. If you would like to learn more, click here.