Being new to Jellybean and the foodservice industry, I was excited to attend the Horizons Key Club & Study Tour this week with some of my fellow beans. For a few of us newbies this was a great opportunity to have a full introduction to foodservice whilst for others; it was a chance to find out about the latest industry updates and stats.
Here’s a summary of the key points I took away from the session (based on the latest 2013 figures):
• The total food and drink sales to consumers is £44.9 billion (excluding drinks not served with meals) – serving 7.8 billion meals per year.
• Each year caterers spend £44 billion – one third on labour, one third on disposables and the rest on food and drink.
• Quick service is the largest operating sector within foodservice making up 26% of the total meals served in the UK, with 32,353 outlets. This sector is growing and is a key market driver.
• Discounting is evolving, with outlets moving away from the use of discount vouchers, and making these discounts part of an overall offer, rather than something that is an add on.
• Growth sectors to look out for include casual dining, breakfast, healthy eating and fast casual dining.
It’s no secret that the foodservice industry is a complex one, but it’s also one that is full of opportunity. I for one am excited to be starting my adventure into the world of foodservice and with the added bonus that I am also part of the leading foodservice agency!
We’d like to say a big thank you to Horizons for this insightful session.
Copyright © 2017 Jellybean Creative Solutions. All rights reserved.
Company No. 2303631. Registered Address: 4 Bridge Street, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 8BZ