Last year I began my career in Public Relations, joining Jellybean and signing up to complete the very first Higher Apprenticeship in Public Relations with Creative Process. Fast forward to December 17th 2013 – I’m now sitting at my desk with a framed certificate reflecting on the hard work I’ve put in and all that I’ve learnt and gained this past year.
For those who don’t know much about Apprenticeships or who are yet to be convinced of the benefits – let me throw a few stats your way:
· A report released earlier this year by the Centre for Economics and Business Research forecasted that between 2013 and 2022, 3.8 million people will complete an apprenticeship contributing £3.4bn to the UK economy each year in productivity gains.
· Currently, over 150,000 employers are offering Apprenticeships in more than 200,000 locations.
· These Apprenticeships are available in more than 170 industries and 1,500 job roles.
· After finishing, the majority of apprentices (85%) will stay in employment, with two-thirds (64%) staying with the same employer.
· Of the 85% in work, three quarters (75%) reported taking on more responsibility in their job.
· And my particular favourite – Research concluded that employers think that qualified apprentices are 15% more employable than those with other qualifications (including degrees).
I’m very proud of myself and grateful to Jellybean and Creative Process for enabling me to make up part of these figures, after all, there will always be risks when employing an apprentice – the new employee will be a novice and unaccustomed to work-life but equally, they will be full of enthusiasm and eager to learn, and that is what is most empowering.
Employers in the hospitality industry in particular are seeing these benefits and understanding the worth of Apprenticeships with the likes of Pizza Express, The Hilton and Galvin Restaurants getting behind such schemes.
The big chains continuously see the need to improve staff skills and so Apprenticeships are on the rise – vacancies for Apprenticeships across all sectors even grew to a record high of over 32,600, with total applications reaching 370,000 earlier this year.
For more information on Apprenticeships, visit www.apprenticeships.org.uk
Remember, it’ll be a risk worth taking – just ask my employer!
Copyright © 2017 Jellybean Creative Solutions. All rights reserved.
Company No. 2303631. Registered Address: 4 Bridge Street, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 8BZ