Another week and we’ve kicked off with The Grocer revealing the top 100 most powerful figures in the grocery industry. It’s the only power list that matters in food & drink, and as a leading foodservice agency, we couldn’t wait to see who the movers and shakers are.
There are certainly some surprising entries, kicking off with Martin Lewis, founder of moneysavingexpert.com getting the number one spot.
If you’ve not heard of Martin Lewis where have you been? With a weekly column in the News of the World, regular TV appearances on the likes of BBC’s Watchdog and five million people receiving his free weekly e-mails, Martin has become the consumer champion. Moneysavingexpert.com shows the nation how to save money, from the weekly food shop to holidays and loans. Mart has been fighting our corner on the financial front and battling the supermarket giants with websites such as www.trolleychecker.com designed to help you save money on your shopping at Tesco by showing you which items can be bought cheaper at Asda…Tesco had to pull their ‘Double the Difference’ promotion as a result. It’s a consumer movement food & drink retailers need to be wary of and justifiably made Martin Lewis number one in the Power 100.
Here is a rundown of the top ten:
1. Martin Lewis; Founder, MONEYSAVINGEXPERT.COM
2. Philip Clarke; CEO, TESCO
3. Paul Walsh; CEO, DIAGEO
4. Andy Clarke; CEO, ASDA
5. Dalton Philips; CEO, MORRISIONS
6. Justin King; CEO, SAINSBURY’S
7. Richard Brasher; UK CEO, TESCO
8. Paul Polman; CEO, UNILEVER
9. Mark Price; Managing Director, WAITROSE
10. Ranjit Singh Boparan, CEO, 2 SISTERS
And a few surprising faces…
33. Jamie Oliver; The face of Sainsbury’s, Jamie recently got voted the TV chef people most trust.
38. Joanna Shields; VP, EMEA, FACEBOOK – As Starbucks proved last week social media can mean big business, Shields is responsible for selling via the site, for many retailers a Facebook page is becoming a must have.
47. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall – Hugh’s Fish Fight forced retailers to rethink their fish sourcing and make sales of unusual species soar.
75. Delia Smith – Delia’s link up with Heston for Waitrose means the first lady of Celebrity Chefs is as current as ever.
83. Mary Portas; TV Presenter – The Grocer awarded Mary a slot after championing customer service and slapping Tesco’s wrists. She’s also advising David Cameron on saving the high street.
91. Heston Blumenthal – Between Little Chef and Waitrose, Heston is becoming a powerful force in the food & drink industry.
Have a good week everybody
Copyright © 2017 Jellybean Creative Solutions. All rights reserved.
Company No. 2303631. Registered Address: 4 Bridge Street, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 8BZ